The Women, Gender and Sexuality Center
Welcome! We're a place for activities, support and advocacy for a radically inclusive environment – where students, faculty members and classified professionals are free to self-determine their gender and sexual identities, without harassment, discrimination or violence.
May 23: Queer and Now Conference – Let's Play!
- Monday, May 23: 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Keynote speaker: Layshia Clarendon, activist and WNBA athlete
- Attend via Zoom
- Zoom meeting ID: 953 2094 4769
- View or download the conference flyer
Please join us for this LGBTQ+ student-led conference, focusing on the intersectional identities, inclusive communities – and the politics of play!
More About Queer and Now
This year's Queer and Now keynote speaker will be athlete and activist Layshia Clarendon, currently the point guard for the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx.
- Layshia was leading scorer for the Cal Golden Bears in college and was named a WNBA All-Star in 2017.
- Three years later, they became the first out trans and nonbinary player in WNBA history.
- A regular commentator for the Pac-12 Network, as well as vice president of the WNBA players' association, Layshia is also a noted advocate, speaker and writer on social issues.
Queer and Now is an annual conference at De Anza that focuses on the larger and local LGBTQ+ community, along with student success, equity, intersectionality and social justice concerns.
This year's sponsors include the De Anza Student Government, Office of President Lloyd Holmes, Student Success and Retention Services, and the Women, Gender and Sexuality Center – in collaboration with the Office of Equity, Physical Education and Athletics Division and REACH.
June 14: Lavender Graduation
- Tuesday, June 14: 6-7:30 p.m.
- Location: VPAC outdoor patio (on campus!)
- Keynote speaker: Alysa Cisneros, De Anza alum and Sunnyvale vice mayor
- More about Alysa Cisneros
Do you identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community? Will you be graduating from De Anza this spring? We want to honor the resilience and the accomplishments of our LGBTQ+ graduates.
We hope to build community with you as we celebrate your strengths and achievements during this still challenging time. Each graduate will receive a sash and certificate and have the opportunity to say a few words about their experience.
If you have any questions about this year's Lavender Grad celebration, please email Roseanne Giannini Quinn at email@example.com
About Our New Name
The center has a new name to reflect our commitment to providing expanded services and resources, while we continue to honor Jean Miller with a new scholarship program!
"Women," "Womyn," "Womxn" or ?
We've been thinking more about the use of these terms, and we've decided to use the spelling "women" going forward. For an explanation and some background, please read our statement on this decision.
Stay in Community With Us
- Billy DeFrank LGBTQ Community Center
- Outlet - Adolescent Counseling Services
- Gender Identity Awareness Network
Desi LGBTQ Helpline: 1.908.367.3374
- Community United Against Violence
- Santa Clara County Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Affairs
- LGBTQ Youth Space
Family and Children Services of Silicon Valley
- Transfamily Support Group of Santa Clara County
- The Trevor Project
24/7 Crisis Hotline: 1.866.488.7386
- Suicide & Crisis Hotline: 1.855.278.4204
- PFLAG: Parents, Families, Friends, LGBTQ people and Allies United for Equality
- Santa Clara County District Attorney:
Hate Crimes Team and Victim Services Unit
You'll find more sources of help and information on this LGBTQI+ Resources and More webpage.
Harassment and Discrimination Policy
Please see the following policy documents for the Foothill-De Anza Community College District