General Meeting Information

Date: February 12, 2018
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Welcome I Chow
    2:35 - 2:40 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Notes from February 5, 2018 meeting A Chow
    2:40 - 2:50 p.m. Needs & Confirmations I/D/A Nguyen
    2:50 - 3:00 p.m. Courses Into Disciplines and Faculty Service Area (FSA) Review - Child Development, Applied Sciences & Special Education I/D/A
    • Sietzol
    • De Toro
    • others
    3:00 - 3:15 p.m. Guidelines for Faculty Engagement with Students Online


    3:15 - 3:25 p.m. UndocuAllies Training Funding Request (2nd discussion) I/D/A Chow
    3:25 - 3:30 p.m. SLO Convocation Funding Request (2nd discussion) I/D/A Pape
    3:30 - 3:45 p.m. Equity For Excellence Funding Ideas (1st discussion) I/D
    • Chow
    • others
    3:45 - 4:00 p.m. Faculty Association & Senate Leaders Joint Meeting Update I/D
    • Chow
    • Nguyen
    • Stockwell
    4:00 - 4:25 p.m. Low Textbook Cost Designation I/D Hearn
    4:25 - 4:30 p.m.

    Good of the Order and Appreciations

    • Compassion, Care, and Advocacy In Response to Homophobia and Hate Crimes; Wednesday February 14; 1:30-3:45 PM; Campus Center Conference Room B
    • No Academic Senate Meeting on 2/19 Presidents’ Day Holiday.
    • APASA Lunar New Year Luncheon Thurs 2/22 Purchase ticket from Duc Nguyen, Mailroom Next Academic Senate Meeting: February 26
     I All
    • A = Action
      D = Discussion
      I = Information
  • Minutes

    Meeting Notes

    Approval of Agenda & Notes from February 5, 2018 meeting
    • Agenda approved
    • No requests to edit notes, no objections, notes approved

     Needs & Confirmations
    • No objections, faculty for CTE committee approved (Andrew Stoddard and Manisha Karia)

    Courses Into Disciplines and Faculty Service Area (FSA) Review—Child Development, Applied Sciences & Special Education
    • Child Development, auto tech, no changes
    • Any changes at all need to be hand delivered to Paul.
    • FSA requests are due soon, contact HR for process.

    Guidelines for Faculty Engagement with Students Online
    • Accreditors were looking for “substantive interaction” in their review of our online courses
    • Said they did not see enough “substantive interaction” - didn’t see email exchanges and discussions (but not every courses uses discussion).
    • interactions have to be instructor initiated, regular and substantive. De Anza resources available here.
    • (1st reading) of Resolution to support applying to become part of the Online Education Initiative (OEI) Consortium 2.0 Cohort. The process was started by the submission of a nonbinding letter of interest signed by Academic Senate President and College President, followed by an institutional self assessment completed by Brandon Gainer, Faculty Coordinator of Online Education, but we also need a resolution from academic senate to apply for OEI cohort 2, which is equity focused.
    • Karen presented resolution.
    • Questions from senate, how does this help our students? curriculum stays local?
    • Since first read, senators should visit the OEI consortium to review prior to next meeting, OEI exchange.
    • Chris Dileonardo is concerned that the courses we support will be competing with out own courses. His example was of his oceanography class, during this time of low enrollment he would be hesitant to support oceanography in the OEI consortium
    • Mary Pape says that these courses will not compete with ours and that participating in this will give us access to new resources that will be beneficial to students.

    UndocuAllies Training Funding Request (2nd discussion)
    • Presentation
    • Valerie Greene incorporated suggestions and got a second quote for training, including sticker and printing costs = $350 (500 stickers), new request $450
    • Mary Donahue- Did she go to DASB or Classified Senate to request funds? Attending Classified Senate tomorrow.
    • Question- Mary Sullivan:, Curious as to requests for funding from others.
    • Tom Dolen.- possible to partially fund up to $250 and then suggest that they go to other funding sources too.
    • Motion amended by Mary Sullivan- fully support UndocuAllies training materials to $450.00; seconded by Cheryl Balm;, all in favor, no obstentions, no oppositions, passed.

    SLO Convocation Funding Request (2 nd discussion)
    • Request of $600 for convocation
    • Date: Friday March 2nd (9-afternoon)
    • Motion: Mary Sullivan motioned to approve, Mylinh Pham seconded; no opposition, Cheryl Balm abstained, approved. Tom Dolen mentioned voting counts, Alicia suggested using Clickers. All agreed to the use of them, Alicia has them and will provide.

    Equity For Excellence Funding Ideas (1 st discussion)
    • Discussed a document of ideas submitted by Academic Senators:
    • The project asks district employees, including faculty, to come up with ideas “to advance student equity and retention through the application of validation theory.”
      • From the introductory article “Revisiting Validation Theory: Theoretical Foundations, Applications, and Extensions” in this journal:
        • “…validation refers to the intentional, proactive affirmation of students by inand out-of-class agents (i.e. faculty, student, and academic affairs staff, family members, peers) in order to: 1) validate students as creators of knowledge and as valuable members of the college learning community and 2) foster personal development and social adjustment.”
    • Some ideas proposed by Senators & their faculty constituents:
      • Faculty Proposals for Mini-Grants for Equity For Excellence: Put a strict cap on length of proposals (like, a 3-4 sentence summary plus a budget breakdown). Ask Senate to review and vote on proposals monthly until the money is gone. Then, if we want, we can vote to approve another $1,000 to go into the pot, or the project dies. Also, we could invite awardees to come to a Senate meeting and share how it went.
      • a “Coffee Office Hour” where students and faculty get a subsidy (TBD) towards a coffee drink at the café in exchange for chatting with one or several student(s)/faculty while enjoying the drink.
      • Faculty Scavenger Hunt – students go to faculty office hours to collect a prize…faculty keep a list of who comes

    Faculty Association & Senate Leaders Joint Meeting Update
    • Business process alignment task force was proposed at the last Chancellors’ Advisory Committee meeting. It would focus on the removal of internal barriers for students that exist between the colleges within district. The task force would look at: Which business practices can be adjusted to limit these barriers? Joe Moreau has put out a list of topics and people to address. FA was interested in speaking about this bc of faculty impacts. Alicia will work with Senate on 2/26 to review the task force. Student rep spoke up regarding her own experiences with being a De Anza student enrolling in online classes at Foothill. Karen expressed the need to have students participate in the task force.
    • Karen Chow will share a list of proposed areas for exploration for consolidation/streamlining at the next Senate meeting from Joe Moreau.
    • SLOs were also discussed at the retreat and how much that effort has had on improving student success and outcomes. Discussed meta analysis of this and how that could help us measure whether the process is working.
    • Program Integrity: in light of reductions, how can we preserve programs (used Music department course sequence at De Anza as an example)

    Low Textbook Cost Designation
    • Lydia Hearn brought forward a draft Low Textbook Cost Designation form and process that is modeled after the Zero Textbook Cost Designation form and process already approved by Senate and in use starting in Winter 2018 quarter online course catalog
    • “Low Cost” Defined as total costs for course to be $40 or less for materials needed in a course.
    • Cheryl Balm would like to bring the $40 cost discussion to the group. Rob C would like to look at the average cost of textbook and materials for a class at De Anza. Karen suggests continuing this discussion at another time.
    • Lydia will bring back a revised version of the document for a second discussion and action

    Good of the Order and Appreciations
    • Visit from Dr. Murphy regarding: Compassion, Care, and Advocacy In Response to Homophobia and Hate Crimes;
      • Wednesday February 14; 1:30-3:45 PM; Campus Center Conference Room B
    • No Academic Senate Meeting on 2019  Presidents’ Day Holiday.
    • APASA Lunar New Year Luncheon Thurs 2022 Purchase ticket from Duc Nguyen, Mailroom
    • Next Academic Senate Meeting: February 26
    • Psychological Service Open House
      • Wednesday Feb 14, 10-2pm, Rm 127 Registrations and Student Services
    • Blood Drive on Thursday, Feb. 15 8am-4pm

    Officers and Senators

    Executive Committee Members Present

    Name Position Present
    Karen Chow President Y
    Jim Nguyen Vice President  Y
    Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y
    Yael Karmi PT Y
    Mary Donahue PT Y
    Paul Klingman App Tech Y
    John Walton App Tech Y
    Bob Kalpin BHES Y
    Peter Miskin BHES Y
    Mia Breen Bus/CIS Y
    Mary Pape Bus/CIS  Y
    Milena Grozeva Levy CA  Y
    Elizabeth Mjelde (on PDL in Fall) CA  
    Nellie Vargas CD&E  
    Robert Alexander (Paul Wethington on leave) Counseling   Y
    Rob Clem Counseling  Y
    Vacancy DSPS  
    Maria Delas DSPS Y
    Catie Cadge Moore IIS  
    Marc Coronado ICS/IIS Y
    Cheryl Balm PSME Y
    Chris DiLeonardo PSME  Y
    Iva Tracey LA Y
    Cecilia Deck LA  Y
    Laura Chin SSH Y
    My Linh Pham SSH Y
    Arden Kragalott PE  
    Scott Hertler PE Y
    Tom Dolen LR  Y
    Mary Sullivan SD Y
    Eric Woodbury Curriculum Committee  Y

    Guests Present

    Name Position Present
    Brian Murphy DA Pres  Y
    Stacey Cook VPSS  
    Christina Espinosa-Pieb VPI  
    Susan Cheu VPFCO  
    Lorrie Ranck AVPI  Y
    TBA OSOD  
    Marisa Spatafore Mktng  
    Vacancy DASB  
    Bob Stockwell FA Y
    Lorna Maynard CS Y
    Elias Kamal Student Trustee  
    Mallory Newell IR  
    Moaty Fayek Dean BS/CIS  
    Renee Augenstein Articulation  
    Mary Bennett Tenure Review  
    Sheila White-Daniels Dean Counseling  
    Nancy Canter Dean CA  
    Alicia Cortez Interim Dean, Equity and Engagement  
    Coleen Lee Wheat Dean PE  
    Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate  
    Mayra Cruz District Academic Senate President  
    Pam Grey AVPCO  
    Stacey Shears DSP&S  
    Anita Kandula Dean BHES  
    Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean, Stud Dev/EOPS  
    Rob Mieso Associate VP of Student Services  
    Lisa Mandy Dir Finan Aid  
    Tamica Ward Enrollment Services Dean  
    Edmundo Norte Dean IIS  
    Thomas Ray Dean LA  
    Jerry Rosenberg Dean PSME  
    Judy Miner Chancellor  
    Dawn Lee Tu Office of Professional Development  
    Carolyn Wilkins-Green Dean SSH  
    Kelly Swanson Book Store  
    Mary Pape SLO  
    David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning  
    Hayman Wong DASB Student Representative Y
    Lydia Hearn   Y

Documents and Links

Back to Top