General Meeting Information

Date: October 21, 2019
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Minutes from October 14, 2019 meeting A Chow, All
    2:35 - 2:45 p.m. Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action) I All
    2:45 - 3:25 p.m. Needs and Confirmations I/D/A Pape
    3:25 - 3:35 p.m.

    Campus Facilities Master Plan Update

    Facilities Master Plan update approved 10/15 by Campus Facilities Planning Group

    I/D Grey
    3:35 - 3:45 p.m. Guided Pathways Update



    3:45 - 4:14 p.m. Statewide Academic Senate Area B Regional Meeting & Current Fall Plenary Resolutions


    • Pape
    • Chow
    4:15 - 4:25 p.m.


    • De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB)


    • Pape
    • Chow
    • DASB
    • other representatives
    4:25 - 4:30 p.m.

    Good of the Order



    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


    Karen Chow, Mary Pape, So Kam Lee, Ishmael Tarikh, Mary Donahue, Paul Klingman, Pete Vernazza, Bob Kalpin, Anna Miller, Mary Pape, Ron Dunn, Nellie Vargas, Betty Inoue, Barb Dahlke, Anita Vazifdar, Kevin Glapion, Terrence Mullens, Lisa Mesh, Julie Wilson, Daniel Solomon, Louise Madrigal,Tom Dolen, Mary Sullivan, Cynthia Kaufman, Eric Woodbury, Russell Hong, Pam Grey, Thomas Rey, Bob Stockwell, Dawn Lee Tu

    Meeting Items

    Approval of Agenda & Minutes from October 14, 2019 meeting
    • Agenda approved.
    • Minutes approved. 

    Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)
    • E​rik reported problem some part time instructors encountered with getting the new parking permits; there were challenges in getting valid ID to obtain permits; then, some part time instructors were issued one-year paper parking permits instead of the 3-year permits.
      • Reason given: many part time instructors teach only a few terms; some part-time faculty pass their 3-year permit to others, like students.
      • Deans and FA are looking into the issue.
      • Check to see if any of part time colleagues are still having issues.
    • Sinh Do, Student Wellness Ambassador, presented the mission of the Active Minds Club to bring mental wellness awareness to the college community;
      • 75% college students are overwhelmed and distressed.
      • Suicide is 2nd leading cause of death for college students.
      • Students need additional support and care, but are unaware of available resources.
      • Kognito Courses, training (45 minutes, possible ending PGA credit) available for faculty, staff and students to learn how to recognize signs of emotional stress, with the goal of connecting students to support services.
      • Encourage everyone to take training and offer students extra credit tontake class. Visit to sign up
    • President Search Survey
      • Terrence: concern about how Chancellor is collecting information, feedback; possible schedule conflicts for some people to attend meetings and open forums.
      • Karen: there are various opportunities for people to submit survey before the November deadline.
      • Bob: is the process to collect information secure?
      • Mary S: questions about the timing for the survey.
      • Thomas: Survey is to be conducted at division level.

    Needs and Confirmations
    • Karen put on the board consideraion for the faculty representatives on the President’s Search Committee.
      • diversity in gender, ethnicity, department/discipline & division, instruction and student services
      • FA recommendation: that probationary faculty who are appointed to executive-level search committees be in at least Phase 3 of tenure review process, and that part-time faculty appointed to executive-level search committees have REP (re-employment preference) status.
    • Vote was held on tabled motion from last week, to designate one seat for FA, 24 yes, no opposition, 1 abstention. Motion passed.
    • With the above decision, Tim Shively will serve as the FA designee, his name will be taken off the main ballot for the faculty representatives on the Search Committee.
    • Mary D moved to close discussion and vote, Mary S second, 20 yes, 1 abstention.
    • Bob S and Thomas Ray served as counters for ballots.
    • Part time designee, 3 candidates (Ed Ahrens, Ishmael Tarikh, Susan Thomas) vote for 1; vote result, Ishmael Tarikh is the part time designee.
    • Main ballot, 15 names, instructed to cross off Tim S and Ishmael T; 13 names remain (Edward J Ahrens, Karen Chow, Monica Ganesh, Valerie Greene, Melinda Hughes, Cynthia Kaufman, Sarah Lisha, Richard Lopez, Roseanne Giannini Quinn, Maristella Tapia, Susan Thomas, Wendy R. White, Erik Woodbury), vote for 3.
    • Main ballot result in order of votes: 1. Cynthia Kaufman, 2. Karen Chow, 3, tied Erik Woodbury and Maristella Tapia.
    • Run off vote result: Maristella Tapia.
    • Disappointment expressed in the result in terms of area diversity, 2 from language arts, 2 from SSH, none from the sciences despite having 4 people from those areas running. Sentiment acknowledged. Elected representatives voiced their commitment to seek the views and perspectives of the unrepresented.
      • Cynthia: ​mention of equity in the candidate statements was important on how she voted.
      • Paul: how we voted depends on people who volunteer; it is a problem often encountered on this campus; however a vote is a vote
      • Karen: definitely hear the disappointment and the lack of representation for the hard sciences; committed to reach out to those not represented to gather input.
    • Erik moved to reconsider and re-do the vote, Lisa seconded.
      • Discussion: questions regarding the process; can’t vote yes to the re-vote, but also disappointed in the result; cannot support this motion; voted for the best persons to sit on the committee, can’t keep voting until we can the result we want.
    • Call for re-vote: 2 yes, 12 no, 8 abstentions. Motion failed.
    • Dawn: encourage each search committee member to reach out and hear concerns and priorities in areas not represented; hold each other accountable; pay attention to what comes back from survey and focus groups.
    • Thomas: search committee members will be bound to confidentiality to not discuss anything related to the search once the search committee begins meeting.
    • Karen: she will and expects other search committee members to reach out; ask for ideas to encourage further collaborations, to make sure more voices are heard.

    Campus Facilities Master Plan Update

    Facilities Master Plan update approved 10/15 by Campus Facilities Planning Group:

    • Previous Facilities Master Plan makes no mention of housing; since then housing has become a “critical” and worsening issue, as described in the 2019 joint report by the Silicon Valley Community Foundation and the Silicon Valley Leadership Group. The Master Plan is undergoing revision in response to current needs and initiate support for housing. The Flint Center closure allows options for a safer, more accessible flexible-space venue that could accommodate more college and community needs. The revision pursues options for housing and event space that would be consistent with the equity-based principles adopted in the 2016 plan. Principles include: “replace inefficient and underperforming facilities”; “improve facilities to support innovation and equity”; and “develop flexible, multipurpose facilities to adapt over time.”
    • Paul:100% in favor of housing on campus; how does this deal with the state position on sleeping on campus?
    • Pam: The state has tabled the bill which would allow overnight parking in CA community college parking lots.
    • Karen: Some want housing, some want to preserve the performance space; it has been emphasized by Chancellor Miner that both options can be considered, not just one of these two.
    • Tom: Is this coming out of the Facility Committee? first heard of it.
    • Pam: It is moving very fast, recognizes the issue and support ways to address it.
    • Questions and concerns: sufficient parking; future of California History Center; EV charging stations;what happened to the East Cottage; earthquake readiness.
    • Pam; tight schedule, start construction 2023 earliest, completion 2026
    • On funding: considering public/private partnership, as well as other ideas
      • Tom: housing unit revenue neutral? yes
      • Bob: Bond money? if seeking bond, need to include housing in the language.
    • Karen thanked Pam. Send any additional feedback to Pam Grey.

    Guided Pathways Update
    • Kim Palmore and Lydia Hearn, Guided Pathway Directors, will come next week to lead the Academic Senate in one hour mapping exercises in small groups
      • In their District opening day presentation Kim and Lydia explained how the pathway guides students in mapping out course-taking for majors,certificates, and degrees. They led participants in metamajors mapping and student services mapping activities. Student Services mapping enable participants to brainstorm roadblocks to student success, and identified available student services in the mapping.
      • Each group/major is given cards with all the current majors/programs; the goal is to think outside the box for what disciplines & programs might be grouped together into meta majors.
      • It is not easy nor logical for students to navigate over so many departments, organized alphabetically, instead of being grouped according to related content, interests and/or skills.
      • Guided Pathways’ core team goal is for every department to have mapped out course pathways for each degree or certificate offered.
    • Karen: Guided Pathways aims to help to make getting on, changing, and finishing pathways to goals easier for students; also to identify the kind of support needed to help them stay on the path through services and instruction
      • how can a student navigate pathways more easily?

    Statewide Academic Senate Area B Regional Meeting & Current Fall Plenary Resolutions

    Statewide Academic Senate Area B Regional Meeting & Current Fall Plenary Resolutions

    • Several resolutions have to do with term limits for statewide academic senate
    • Bob: what prompted it?
    • Mary: diversity on each campus, a fairer platform, change president term limit to no more than 3 consecutive 1-year term.
    • Karen: these resolutions will go through vigorous debates. Karen and Mary will be attending the statewide plenary meeting.
    • Bob: Request to clarify what Resolution 13.01 means; curious about compensation for that part of work; how faculty would be involved in the budget process; how does the resolution address the equity portion, especially the high cost of living in our area;
    • Karen reminded everyone of Nov 4 joint meeting with Foothill to look at the resolutions jointly, and this will be final meeting for Academic Senate Executive Committees to recommend votes on any resolutions.

    • De Anz Associated Student Body (DASB)
    • IPBT
      • Working on allocation of resources, program review due Feb 3, updating some of the questions from last year.
        • Tom: asking for requests even earlier now
      • Mary: trying to move up the schedule, to get out of the back things we are in; it is in 2 steps
    • Other shared governance committees
    • SSPBT meeting last Thursday: co-chair, Marilyn Booye - EOPS Supervisor, elected from within committee; information presented by Laureen Balducci (Dean of DSPS and General Counseling) on the hiring of a probation counselor position to oversee the handling of the 1400 probation; also discussed that the college would be hiring a new full-time veteran counselor who would report to the Dean of Enrollment Services; review of current year goal.
    • Karen: District Equality Action Council (DDEAC) met, and Laura Savage announced that administrator hiring procedure drafts including Academic Senate’s wording about having designated part-time representative, were sent to Chancellor Advisory Committee; the group discussed possibility of inviting prominent equity speakers include Dr. Luke Wood to speak at FHDA;
    • Question about timeline for approving updated administrator hiring procedures and the search for Dean of Social Science & Humanities? Lorrie Ranck will get it going by Winter quarter; Karen expresses that it’s not likely for administrator hiring procedures updated draft to be passed before that search begins.
    • Mary D what happened to Academic Senate approved draft that includes part-time representative on all hiring committees; make it known to deans when making appointments.
    • Thomas: cannot insist that district policy be changed without the approval by Chancellor’s Advisory Committee
    • Karen: Creative Arts and PE deans were hired under the old/current procedures; will forward Academic Senate wording/draft to Lorrie Ranck
    • Bob: suggested setting aside time for faculty to come together to have informal meetings and discussion about the President’s Search
    • Mary: townhall type of situation?

    Good of the Order
    • Cynthia moved to adjourn, Mary P seconded, no objection

Documents and Links

Back to Top