General Meeting Information

Date: November 15, 2021
Time: 2:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Location: Zoom

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader


    (representatives who have not updated their report-out and wish to, please do so)

    D All
    2:35-2:40 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from Nov 8, 2021 I/D/A Balm, Lee

    Public Comment on Items Not On Agenda

    (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    I All
    2:45-3:00 Update from the Music Department  I/D Glasman

    Shared Governance Task Force (first read)

    I/D Balducci, Hughes, Shively

    Emergency funds for students

    I/D Mandy

    Police Chiefs Advisory Committee (PCAC) and part-time faculty concerns

    I/D Tarikh

    Ask for funds for Survey Money (first read)

    I/D Balm

    Vote to amend Academic Senate By-laws Article VI

    • Vote to cancel the Nov 22, 2021, Academic Senate meeting
    • Revisit AB361
    D/A Balm

    Proposal regarding curriculum and eLumen (first read)

    I/D Woodbury

    Explanation of APs, BPS and APM (Administrative Procedures, Board Policies and the Academic and Professional Matters committee)

    I/D Balm
    4:10-4:20 Report-outs and Good of the Order



    To request to add an item to the agenda of a future Academic Senate meeting, email by noon on the Wednesday before.

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


    Cheryl reminded representatives to update their report-out.

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from November 8, 2021

    • Erik moved, Lisa M seconded to approve both minutes and agenda. No objection.
    • Agenda and minutes approved by unanimous consent.

    Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    No public comments.

    Update from the Music Department

    Postponed to next meeting.

    New Shared Governance Proposal Task Force
    (first read)

    Tim and Melinda gave a presentation of the New Shared Governance Proposal prepared by the Shared Governance Task Force (SGTF) for feedback and new ideas. The Task Force consisted of faculty, classified professionals, administrators, and students. Some of the members, like students, have graduated and moved on. SGTF will share the proposal and seek feedback from the Shared Governance groups, through its website, and eventually a town hall.

    “For shared governance to be effective, it needs to have a well-established foundation of transparency, trust, equity, and inclusion that is consistent and collaborative.” ​-  De Anza Shared Governance Task Force 4/21​

    The current shared governance (SG) structure has been in place for over 20 years and its shortcomings have become more evident in recent years. There were demands for a more equitable structure. ​

    The College Council charged the SGTF to review the present structure, research, and recommend a more equitable and holistic process with a focus on inclusion and providing funds for services that support equity and student success goals.​

    SGTF has communicated its progress to the college community via its review website, regular updates to College Council, senior staff, and respective constituency groups. It presented the New Shared Governance Proposal to College Council on Oct. 28, 2021.​

    The current Shared Governance structure is vertical, either top down, or bottom up, reporting to larger and larger bodies, until it reaches the College Council before the President for final decision. In place of such a siloed approach, the task force proposed a honeycomb governance approach with several committees coming together under the Planning and Resource Committee PRC. The PRC will articulate and synthesize the various complementary and competing interests between these groups before going to the College Council and then President for final approval. The President has taken a non-voting role in the College Council.

    The diagram in the powerpoints showed the proposed membership of the Planning & Resource Committee (PRC) from the quadrants. They include: Affinity & Equity​ Groups, Unions​, Senates, and Administrators.

    They went through an example of a Proposed Decision-Making Rubric for Program Review to prioritize funding and rank positions. The new model will dissolve the present decision making siloed teams and bring everyone together into one cohesive committee. It will improve transparency, bring consistency and increase collaboration in the decision making process. This one committee model will reduce meeting fatigue​, increase opportunity for participation​, and shift allocating resources based on holistic campus wide funding.

    The Task Force wanted feedback to finalize the proposal before presentation for College Council approval. In their research, SGTF has looked at the shared governance structure at other schools to determine a better decision making process for De Anza. They outlined their next steps that included inviting IEPI/PRT to assist in implementing the new SG model, communication structure, and assessment/technology needs​; working with Institution Research to update changes into the Governance Handbook​. They will evaluate the SG model after one year to determine its effectiveness and make necessary​ improvements. 

    Rick: So one committee is going to do the work of four?

    It is more like one big committee subdivided into separate groups. Decisions will not be confined to one area but be considered relative to other areas and within the context of the college as a whole.

    The model also allowed for more representation from underrepresented groups, like the unions and students. It will be a sizable committee with smaller work groups.

    The proposal was being presented to different shared governance groups for feedback. People may also go to the SGTF office hour for longer conversation.

    There was a question on the timeline for implementing changes and new structure.

    Tim expected the model to be finalized and implemented next fall. There will be ongoing refinement with many moving parts. There is still discussion about the role and charge of the Budget Committee in the new model.

    There was another question on the relationship between the program evaluation teams, the subcommittees, and the broader Planning and Resource Committee.

    Ishmael spoked on building trust and transparency. Does shared governance mean shared power? As a trust tester under a new era of shared governance he advocated some movement on the class cancellation policy. The current policy is a broken circumstance that needs fixing. Enrollment problem is a significant problem, but it is not one that is unique to the district or to the college. The class cancellation policy was not helpful in resolving that problem.

    Tim: One of the difficulties is that the district bargains with FA, not individual colleges. They have to devise policies that apply across the board. Other colleges, like West Valley, are more flexible with enrollment because they are funded by property tax, not by enrollment. This model shared power in the parity of membership, even representatives from all the unions; also in the distribution of leadership. The same people should not be in all the committees, going from budget, to program review, to College Council. There has to be role sharing. The tri-chairs format in some committees is a step in that direction to ensure that the same leaders are not in all the crucial roles.


    SGTF Meeting/Q&A Mon 11/15/2021 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM, 
    Q&A is more like a drop-in office hour.

    SGTF will bring the finalized proposal back for Senate approval in the winter. The current model is a work in progress.

    Emergency Funds for Students and other Resources

    The Financial Aid Office has been working hard to assist students with their needs. The second round of federal relief funding HEERP2 Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund has more leniency They were able to award funds to dreamers and even International Students. They are working on an application form especially for International Students with necessary language to describe the needs.

    They have about $800,000 state funds for the neediest students like those under the Promise grant to cover enrollment fees, also the dreamers who don’t often reach out to apply for emergency funds. Since Liza could control those money, they have allocated for the year $25,000 direct aid to the cohorts. These funds were given to the bookstore. Eligible students can go online to order books and other materials directly from the bookstore. 

    The student survey has a question about student needs. Mallory would send her those with financial needs. Liza would email those students with financial concerns to direct and help them, like funds for a computer through the bookstore.

    Emergency fund link on website for students[BROKEN LINK]

    Students can also email Lisa directly instead of through the application process. It can be faster. She has been processing more than 100 requests per week. They are doing whatever it takes to help the students.

    Many expressions of appreciation to Liza both verbally and in chat: Lisa Mandy is amazing!  Thanks for being so student-responsive.  

    Faculty Priorities for Police Chief’s Advisory Committee (PCAC)
    and part-time faculty concerns

    Ishmael, the Senate faculty representative to the PCAC, sent a survey via Survey Monkey to all faculty to seek information on faculty concerns. Faculty were asked to select 3 out 14 items identified by the PACA. Ishmael will bring the top choices from the 92 responses to the PCAC meeting on Thursday.  

    The top 5 topics are: 1. Training; 2. Workplace violence and active shooter issues and training; 3. Mask enforcement; (tied with) Police staffing shortages and updates; 4. Demilitarization; (tied with) Community policing; 5. Complaint process and complaint status.

    There were discussions on several ongoing concerns for part time faculty.

    The current class cancellation policy continued to be a top priority. The other major concern is over priority for class assignments for part time faculty with reemployment preferences and seniority.

    Tim: Every year FA tried to discuss with the district regarding class cancellation. The contractual stipulation continued to be 20 as the floor. He had nothing to report except for a conversation and a proposal with the Chancellor regarding the Foothill policy that is more flexible with on campus classes. They have lowered the threshold for letting a class go. That may encourage more people to return to campus.

    Regarding seniority and reemployment preferences. FA has discussed modifying the contract to give part time faculty bumping rights.

    Mary D: Being more flexible like Foothill would be a huge improvement at De Anza especially with the enrollment decline. The proof of vaccination requirement could be an issue for on campus enrollment. Students cannot register or can be dropped without their proof of vaccination. 

    Even if students are not taking classes on campus, they should submit proofs to use on campus services like the library, counseling, or financial aid. Also, activities like the Outdoor Club’s Yosemite trip have on campus signups.

    There was another concern over scheduling in terms of in person and online classes where the senior full timers get the online option while part timers must teach in person while traveling to several schools.

    Ask for funds for Survey Monkey (first read)

    The survey with Survey Monkey was not a free service. There is a one time $70 charge for 1-month subscription.

    De Anza has an existing Survey Monkey account through Institutional Research. Therefore, the 1-month subscription was sufficient to conduct the Senate survey.

    Vote to amend
    Academic Senate By-laws Article VI

    The By-laws specified meeting times for the Academic Senate:

    The Executive Committee of the Academic Senate meets each Monday during the academic year from 2:30 – 4:30 with the exception of holidays, the first week of class, and Finals week.

    The Senate had two extra special meetings in the beginning of the Fallquarter. There was a proposal to amend the By-laws by adding the word “usually” to allow the cancellation of the Nov 22 meeting.

    Ishmael strongly objected to the amendment. it is not necessary to amend the by-laws to cancel a meeting on one particular Monday. Also, it will be out of order to amend the by-laws without a written proposal submitted to all members of the executive committee 10 days prior to the voting. The Senate can vote to cancel a meeting with a simple majority.

    Vote to cancel the Nov 22, 2021, Academic Senate meeting
    Discussion on pressing issues that may need a decision next week.

    There was a question about the status and timeline for proctoring and surveillance software. It will be too late for winter quarter. If the body makes a decision in early winter, it will be in time for spring. The Senate will need more time for that conversation and set a goal for a solution in time for spring.

    Lydia pointed out the need for a footnote on proctored exams due in January before the spring schedule is published. There is also the cost consideration, as well as the time required for requisition, approval, and installation.  

    Shagun reported problems with adopting her OER textbooks with Follet. It was very cumbersome and there was no one to speak with. She would like time to address the issue.

    Lydia and Shagun will talk offline.

    Call to vote on meeting next week
    Yes 6, No 14, Abstain 2
    Senate will not meet on November 22, 2021

    Revisit and vote to invoke AB361
    Erik motioned that the Senate continue to meet online as to meet in person would present a threat to the health and safety of the participants. Lisa M seconded
    Yes 19; passed unanimously. The Senate will continue its meeting via zoom.

    Proposal regarding curriculum and eLumen (first read)

    Curriculum Update 21/22The transition from ECMS to eLumen since Fall 2019 has encountered significant delays due to the pandemic, technical challenges, vendor difficulties and state mandates. eLumen has taken up more of their time and bandwidth than they had anticipated. The old ECMS system is not reliable to retain information. eLumen is still not ready. Their goal and priority were to finish the migration process as soon as possible and to have it ready by Fall 2022. This necessitated a major change in the normal curriculum process. 

    The Curriculum Committee has come up with a plan and schedule to address the critical curriculum needs this year that will result in a short delay in full eLumen implementation to Spring 2022. Additional items will result in delays into the Summer and potentially Fall.

    In this plan, they have identified as crucial 7 out of 555 revisions due. Other emergency courses dictated by articulation and identified as courses (6) or programs (27) with critical needs. There are Area F proposal changes for 10 courses and 105 courses already updated effective Fall 2022. The original plan had no new courses and revisions. However, that created problems for some departments. They have added 30 new courses and 10 new programs bringing the total to 185 pieces of curriculum for the year. 

    Erik presented this proposal and plan for review and for approval in the next meeting. He advised everyone to look over the plan and report to their constituencies. This will be the last chance to communicate any critical curriculum needs for this year.

    Explanation of APs, BPS and APM (Administrative Procedures, Board Policies and the Academic and Professional Matters committee)

    Some of the links for the Administrative Procedures AP did not work. Therefore, the body will come back and discuss them in the next meeting or in January.

    Proposed changes to AP 4130 Section C on Faculty Hiring Procedures
    The administrative portion of that procedure was not ready yet.

    AP 7210 on Academic Employees

    AP 4225 on Course Repetition

    Report-outs and Good of the Order

    Nominations for the Hayward Hayward Award for Excellence in Teaching.

    Classified Senate Response to Policy Drafts AP 7280, BP 7280 and the FHDA Remote Work Suitability Guide

    One book, one college still has books available for faculty. Email Alicia Cortez to request one.

    Scott: Chromatic has $120 cup of excellence coffee beans:

    Erik motioned, Lisa M seconded, to adjourn, no objection.

    A = Action

    D = Discussion

    I = Information





    Cheryl Balm


    Mary Pape

    Executive Secretary

    So Kam Lee

    Part-time Faculty Representatives

    Ishmael Tarikh

    Mary Donahue

    Academic Services & 
    Learning Resources

    Cecilia Hui

    Bio/Health/Environmental Sciences 

    Robert Kalpin

    Anna Miller

    Business/Computer Science/
    Applied Technologies

    Rick Maynard


    Career Technical Education & Workforce Development



    Counseling - General

    Robert Alexander

    Lisa Castro

     Counseling - Embedded

    Felisa Vilaubi

    Helen Pang

    Creative Arts  



    Disability Support Programs & Services and Adapted PE 

    Kevin Glapion

    Anita Vazifdar

    Equity and Engagement

    Liliana Rivera

    Intercultural/International Studies



    Language Arts 

    Shagun Kaur

    Lauren Gordon

    Physical Education 

    Louise Ortiz

    Mark Landefeld (F)

    Physical Sciences, Math, & Engineering

    Lisa Mesh


    Social Sciences & Humanities

    Emily Beggs

    Nellie Vargas

    Student Development & EOPS

    Melinda Hughes

    Curriculum Committee

    Erik Woodbury

    Professional Development*

    Dawn Lee Tu

    Administrator Liaison*

    Lydia Hearn

    DASG Representatives*

    Dimitri Yanovskyi

    Adel Burieva

    Faculty Association Representative*

    Mary Donahue

    Affinity Group Representatives*

    Glynn Wallis, BFSA

    *non-voting member





    Lloyd Holmes

    De Anza President

    Rob Miesa

    VP of Student Services

    Christina Espinosa-Pieb

    VP of Instruction

    Pam Grey

    VP of Administrative Services

    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker

    Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs


    Marisa Spatafore

    Associate VP of Communications & External Relations

    Scott Olsen

    Classified Senate

    Michelle Fernandez

    De Anza Student Trustee

    Mallory Newell

    Institutional Research

    Moaty Fayek

    Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems

    Renee Augenstein

    Articulation Officer

    Brian Malone

    Tenure Review Coordinator

    Daniel Smith

    Dean of Creative Arts

    Eric Mendoza

    Dean of Physical Education and Athletics

    Thomas Ray

    Dean of Language Arts

    Alicia Cortez

    Dean of Equity and Engagement

    Randy Bryant

    Dean of Career & Technical Education (CTE)

    Kathryn Maurer

    Foothill Academic Senate President

    Karen Chow

    FHDA District Academic Senate President

    Laureen Balducci

    Dean of Counseling, DSPS & Title IX Coordinator

    Anita Kandula

    Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences

    Michele LeBleu-Burns

    Dean of Student Development/EOPS

    Lisa Mandy

    Director of Financial Aid

    Nazy Gayloyan

    Dean of Enrollment Services

    Edmundo Norte

    Dean of Intercultural/International Studies

    Jerry Rosenberg

    Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Judy Miner

    FHDA Chancellor

    Elvin Ramos

    Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities

    Patrick Gannon

    Director, Book Store

    David Ulate

    FHDA Research & Planning

    Mae Lee

    Curriculum Committee Vice-Chair

    Tabia Lee

    Faculty Director of Equity, Social Justice & Multicultural Education

    Tim Harper



Zoom Information 

Meeting URL:

Meeting ID: 985 9877 0352
Passcode: 581358

Phone one-tap: +14086380968,,98598770352# US (San Jose) 

Back to Top