General Meeting Information

Date: November 7, 2022
Time: 2:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Location: MLC 255

This meeting will be held HyFlex, meaning anyone can participate in-person or online.  To join remotely, see the Zoom information at the bottom of this page.

  • Agenda

    *** Subject to change until 2:30pm Friday, Nov. 4, 2022 ***

    I. Call to Order and Report Outs



    Approval of agenda and minutes from Oct. 31, 2022

    Public Comment

    A Balm, Lee

    Report outs

    I Balm
    II. Needs and Confirmations

    District and College committees - confirmations

    • Hiring committee
      Men of Color Counseling position
      • Nazy Golan, Dean of Enrollment Services, Chair
      • Erick Aragon, Faculty Director Outreach
      • Jesus Ruelas, Faculty, Counseling
      • Erika Flores, Classified Staff, Student Success and Support
      • Leticia, Maldonado, EO Rep, Dean of Students (FH)

     District and College committees - needs

    A Woodbury
    III. Old Business

    PAC membership

    D/A Balm

    Academic Senate interests in FA tenure negotiations

    D Balm

    IPBT update - Prioritizing Work for IPBT

    Does Academic Senate want to advise focusing on updating hiring processes or making sure hiring prioritization is completed over the next 5 weeks? 

    I/D Woodbury

    IV. New Business


    FHDA Sustainability Plan

    I Kaufman
    V. Other Items
    4:15-4:20 Virtual Posters I/D Balm, All

    Good of the Order


    I/A Balm

    To request to add an item to the agenda of a future Academic Senate meeting, email by noon on the Wednesday before.

    A = Action

    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes [DRAFT]

    Date: November 7, 2022
    Time: 2:30 pm-4:20 pm
    Location: MLC 255


     Member  Present   Absent   Member  Present   Absent 

    Cheryl Jaeger Balm - President 

    X   Anita Vazifdar - DSPS  X  
    Erik Woodbury - Vice President & Curriculum Chair X   Kevin Glapion - DSPS  X  
    So Kam Lee - Exec. Secretary X   Liliana Rivera - E&E  X  
    Mary Donahue - Part-time rep. & FA rep. X   Marc Coronado - IIS X  
    Tom Dolen - ASLR    X Shagun Kaur - LA X  
    Dawn Lee - APASA X   Lauren Gordon - LA  X  
    Rana Marinas - BHES  X   Mark Landefeld - PE X  
    Jason Bram - BHES  X   Rusty Johnson - PE   X
    Glynn Wallis - BFSA X   Alicia Mullens - PSME X  
    Mary Pape - BCAT X   Salvador Guerrero  X  
    Tim Harper - CTE   Ravjeet Singh - SSH X  
    Robert Alexander - Gen. Counseling X   Jayanti Roy - SSH X  
    Lisa Castro - Gen. Counseling  X   Melinda Hughes - EOPS  
    Felisa Vilaubi - Emb. Counseling X   Thomas Ray - Adminstrative Liaison (non-voting) X  
    Anna Nguyen - Emb. Counseling X   Deborah Armstrong - Classified Staff rep (non-voting) X  
    Julie Hughes - CA  X   Edith Chan - DASG (non-voting) X  
    Marco Marquez - CA    X  
    Mari Tapia - DALA    X


    I. Call to Order and Report-outs


    Cheryl Jaeger Balm reminded representatives to update their report-out.

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from October 31, 2022

    Mary Pape moved, Alicia Mullens seconded to approve both minutes and agenda. No objection.  Agenda and minutes approved by unanimous consent.

    Public Comment 

    • Alicia Mullens gave an update on the Preferred Name process. Her personal issues have been resolved. However, there is much work to do to ensure no one else has to go through the same ordeal that she endured. She expressed disappointment and frustration over the numerous rescheduling and last minute cancellation of a meeting with ETS regarding the Preferred Name process. This is a crucial issue that needs prompt attention. Fixing the problems in the name change process will foster a more equitable community.  Cheryl Jaeger Balm said the Academic Senate will continue to support Alicia in this process. She will include this item in her report to the Nov 7 Board of Trustees meeting. She will remind the Board of the Senate’s April 2022 Resolution on Improving the Name-Change policies and procedures in the Foothill-De Anza Community College District.
    • Shagun Kaur asked for someone from Print Services for an update and explanation on their process and procedure. Faculty have been confused and frustrated with their services. They need clear communications from that office. There should be a report and a dialogue on what is going on, their challenges, and how to make things work better together for everyone.

    Report outs

    Review and highlight reports in the above PDF for your respective areas.

    II. Needs and Confirmation

    District and College committees - confirmations

    Hiring committee - Men of Color Counseling position

    • Nazy Golan, Dean of Enrollment Services, Chair
    • Erick Aragon, Faculty Director Outreach
    • Jesus Ruelas, Faculty, Counseling
    • Erika Flores, Classified Staff, Student Success and Support
    • Leticia, Maldonado, EO Rep, Dean of Students (FH)

    Alicia Mullens moved to confirm, Felisa Vilaubi seconded. No objection.  Committee approved.

    District and College committees - needs

    Erik Woodbury asked for ideas and help to reach part-timers who may be interested in this position and get involved.

    III. Old Business

    PAC membership - Brainstorm ideas for the five faculty reps

    The October 21, 2022, College Council Shared Governance Retreat agreed upon a model that includes five faculty reps for the PAC (Program Allocation Committee) that will start in January 2023. The three current PBTs (Planning and Budget Teams) and everyone serving on them will be phased out at the end of this quarter.

    Each of the five areas - faculty, classified, administrators, students, and affinity/equity - will select their own reps.  One option for the Academic Senate is to choose the five faculty reps from a general call for volunteers. There was discussion on having designated seats. At the end of the last meeting, there was a suggestion on having instructional and counseling representation.  There was a suggestion that the five reps should be from different areas to make sure that the representation is diverse and inclusive.

    Mary Pape: According to our Constitution, the Academic Senate Vice President always serves as the IPBT (Instructional Planning and Budget Team) co-chair. Therefore, in the new shared governance model, the Academic Senate Vice President should be a tri-chair of the PAC.

    Shagun Kaur suggested that curriculum and part-time faculty should be represented.

    Erik Woodbury: Instead of having a designated curriculum seat, there should be a subcommittee that includes the curriculum co-chair.

    While there are only five voting faculty members, anyone can attend and be part of the conversation.  There was a discussion on the roles and responsibilities of the chairs and the representatives. The tri-chair structure will have a College VP chair, faculty chair and classified chair.  There was also a question and discussion on the charge and mission for the new committee in terms of program reviews, prioritization, and resource allocation. Also, the need for better communication, more transparency and training.

    Shagun Kaur:  It's important that there be a clear communication between what is being discussed in the Academic Senate and the PAC. Having the Academic Senate Vice President be that connection is vital to create a true shared governance process.

    Mary Pape moved that the Academic Senate Vice President be the tri-chair of the PAC. Salvador Guerero seconded. Yes 16, No 0, Abstain 0. Unanimous decision.

    Mark Landefeld moved to extend discussion by 10 minutes and table FA item; Shagun Kaur seconded. No objection.

    Shagun Kaur moved to designate a part-time voting position, Alicia Mullens seconded. Approved by unanimous consent.

    Mary Pape motioned: Designate a faculty seat on PAC from either counseling or instruction based on whichever area the current Academic Senate VP does not represent. Felisa Vilaubi seconded. Yes 19, unanimous decision.

    Ravjeet Singh moved, Alicia Mullens seconded to designate a seat for a De Anza FA member. Yes 12; No 5; Abstain 5. Motion passed.

    Mary Pape moved, Shagun Kaur seconded to make the last seat at-large. Unanimous consent.

    These seats all represent faculty as a whole; these designated positions bring people with specific backgrounds and knowledge to make well-informed decisions. If the designated seats are not filled, they will fill from the at-large pool.

    Shagun Kaur: Locking some seats ensures diversity of voices but they are all faculty voices ultimately. FA is in a very unique position to be looking at historical inequities between the campuses and between various programs. There has always been a point of contention between which programs get what positions and which programs get shortchanged, etc. There is value for that opinion to be brought to the table, so that the issue of what it means to be equitable in terms of positions and departments.

    Dawn Lee asked about the length of term and meeting time.  The current term will just be two quarters - Winter and Spring 2023.  The Academic Senate will revisit with fuller information in Spring.  PAC will meet Tuesdays 10 to 11:30.

    Shagun Kaur: Do we as a body reserve the right to revisit this beyond the two quarters as we reassess faculty needs. Do we have autonomy?

    Erik Woodbury: Faculty can always revisit how we select our reps composition, term length, etc.

    Dawn Lee:  Proposed a governance survey for faculty next year and we bring this back as an agenda item in Spring.

    Academic Senate interests in FA tenure negotiations

    IV. New Business

    FHDA Sustainability Plan

    Cynthia Kaufman is a member of the District Sustainability Committee. They drafted a sustainability plan for the campuses. They will present the plan to the board in January. The plan encourages public transportation, includes sustainability in curriculum; creates a website for students to learn about best practices and  how the campuses deal with energy, recycling, ecology, etc.  People should share the plan with their constituents. Get back to Cynthia with questions, feedback, and suggestions.

    Upcoming event - Student Voices: Women's Uprising in Iran  

    Wednesday, November 16, 2022

    11:30 am-1:30 pm

    Conference Room B Format- In Person

    IPBT update - Prioritizing Work for IPBT (Instructional Planning and Budget Team)

    Erik Woodbury: Does the Academic Senate advise IPBT to focus on updating hiring processes or complete the hiring prioritization over the next 5 weeks?  

    A lot of faculty were very upset about how the hiring prioritization process was carried out last year.  Do people accept using that process to carry forward for prioritization this year, or should they focus instead on examining and revamping the process used previously to provide that to PAC. Focus on revamping the process might have an impact on the ability to hire this year. Those hirings may be deferred for a year.

    Felisa Vilaubi: PAC may or may not accept the new system. IPBT may be spending time creating something that may not be implemented at all.

    Erik Woodbury: Some members of PAC will come from the PBTs. He was confident that they would not disregard suggestions from other experts on campus.  There are up to five faculty hires at this moment. They have not started working on the hiring process. They can start the work now or let PAC start the work later.

    There was a question and discussion on the prioritization and hiring process for the different PBTs.

    Shagun Kaur: Let’s not rock the boat with the remaining time and let IPBT move ahead with their work. The work needs to happen, and there is a limited amount of time available.

    Shagun motion that the members of the IPBT work collectively to follow the best practices and procedures of IPBT for faculty prioritization.  No second. Motion failed.

    Cheryl Jaeger Balm summarized the Academic Senate discussion and position:  Trust the IPBT members to come up with the best option to best use the remaining five meetings.

    Erik will consult with the other faculty IPBT representatives on this topic. Please send him comments and thoughts.

    IV. Other Items

    Virtual Posters - tabled

    Good of the Order

    Alicia Mullens: Remember to vote.


    Robert Alexander motioned, Alicia Mullens seconded, to adjourn, no objection.

Zoom Information 

Meeting URL:

Meeting ID: 850 1025 4574
Passcode: 263923

Phone one-tap: +16694449171,,85010254574# 

Back to Top