De Anza College strives to treat all students fairly, but as in any complex organization, conflicts and misunderstandings can arise from time to time. As a student, you have certain rights under the published rules and regulations of the district and the college, and state laws pertaining to educational environments.

Important Information

If you feel that your student rights have been violated by the college, you have the right seek a resolution to the problem. The Foothill-De Anza Community College District Board of Trustees established Administrative Procedure 5530: Student Grievances to provide an avenue of relief.

In addition to this this step-by-step summary, it’s a good idea to read the district procedure document carefully to understand your rights under this policy.

Step 1: First, try to solve the problem informally with the instructor or staff member. You and the other individuals involved should meet and try to reach a resolution.

Step 2: If you are unable to resolve the issue informally, you must meet with the faculty member’s division dean, or the supervisor of the administrator or classified person.

Step 3: If situation is still unresolved after Step 2, you must confer with the vice president of that dean or supervisor’s division, or the vice president's designee.

Step 4: If you still aren’t satisfied, upon the recommendation of the appropriate administrator, you can submit a formal Grievance Form. You will need to provide the specific rule or law that you feel was violated, along with all details of the situation. Provide copies of any pertinent documents. Don’t delay: In order to file a grievance, you must be a current student or have been one within 30 days before filing, and you must have learned of the particular event or the latest of a series of events no more than 30 days before you file. A grievance cannot be considered if the alleged violation happened more than a year before, regardless of when you learned of the events.

Step 5: Fill out and submit the online student Grievance Form, which you will find by visiting the Student Complaints or Concerns webpage. You can receive assistance with completing the form from any faculty or staff member.

Step 6: The Grievance Review Board will review your grievance and will decide if you met the standards for filing, and whether your grievance meets the basic standards of legitimacy for consideration. The office of Student Development & EOPS will contact you if your grievance warrants a hearing. You will be contacted and a hearing will be scheduled.

Step 7: The exact nature of the hearing differs from case to case, and will be directed by a grievance officer. You and any party who is the subject of your grievance can be accompanied or represented by another person who is not an attorney. You can purchase, at cost, a copy of the official record of the hearing.

Step 8: The Grievance Review Board will try to reach a decision within 14 days from the time of the hearing. The board will make a recommendation on the outcome of your grievance and what relief to grant, if any. The board will forward its recommendation to the Dean of Student Development & EOPS, who will forward the recommendation to the college president.

Step 9: The college president or a designee will have the final decision regarding the outcome. If it is determined that your rights were violated as a result of a district rule or some other reason beyond the college’s control, the president or designee will make an appropriate recommendation to a a higher level, such as the district chancellor or Board of Trustees. Regardless of the outcome, the college president will notify you in writing of the decision.

Back to Top