General Meeting Information

Date: June 17, 2019
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 pm.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Minutes frim June 10 meeting A
    • Pape
    • All
    2:35 - 2:40 p.m. Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot doscuss or take action) I/D Pape
    2:40 - 2:55 p.m.

    Needs and Confirmations

    • District Academic Senate President
    I/D/A Pape
    2:55 - 3:10 p.m.

    Academic Senate stipends for Part-Time Faculty (2nd discussion)

    • Academic Senate Financial Report
    • Pape
    • De Toro
    3:10 - 3:20 p.m. Transformational Leadership Qualities (3rd Discussion)


    • Kaufman
    • Pape
    3:20 - 3:35 p.m. Course Scheduling Enrollment Management (CSEM) task Force Update


    3:35 - 3:55 p.m. Assessment


    • Avila
    • Pape
    • Lee Tu
    3:55 - 4:05 p.m.

    Proposed Statement if No Confidence in Student Centered Funding Formula (SCFF) and State Chancellor's Office (2nd Discussion)


    • Stockwell
    • Pape
    4:05 - 4:15 p.m.

    Professional development Year-end Summary


    Lee Tu
    4:15 - 4:25 p.m.


    • De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB)
    • IPBT
    • District Equity Action Council (DDEAC)
    • Pape
    • DASB representative
    4:25 - 4:30 p.m.

    Good of the Order

    I/D All

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes

    Meeting Minutes

    Approval of Agenda & Minutes from June 10 meeting
    • Agenda approved
    • Minutes approved

    Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)
    • Mary P- no items to report out
    • Mary D- email regarding students getting dropped. Apparently, there is an issue where the software (MyPortal)  does not automatically transfer the waitlisted students to “registered” - as experienced by Mary D.
    • Mary D- shared pens promoting voter registration.
    • Ishmael - the Chancellor stated that De Anza Academic Senate cannot keep students from seeing the number of students in their class during registration.
      • Bhuvi-students feel like the numbers provide more transparency
      • Students do not currently see the number of students enrolled on the DAC website, but they can see it in the schedule of classes in MyPortal, when they go to “Open class finder.” It is a function of ETS for the District to show this to all FHDA students.

    Needs and Confirmations 
    • District Academic Senate President
      • Mary and Karen have opted to split the duties since all eligible (e.g. still current faculty)  past Academic Senate officers and Curriculum Chairs declined to serve as District Academic Senate President, which is a leadership position held by past Academic Senate Executive Officers or Curriculum Chairs.
      • Eric motioned to accept the proposal (seconded by Mary S- “Congratulations and thank you.”
        • All in favor, no opposition and no abstention-PASSED
    • Equity and Engagement: hiring a temporary one year, full-time, non-tenure counseling position for IMPACT AAPI/Learning Communities program.  Proposed search committee submitted by Dean Alicia Cortez for Academic Senate approval:
      • Sushini Chand, EO rep
      • Tony Santa Ana, Classified
      • Jorge Morales, Counselor within Division (per Mou)
      • Erick Aragon, Counselor outside Division (per Mou)
      • Alicia Cortez, Dean 
        • Question regarding funding for the position was posed and answered. 
        • Mary S motioned (Marc C seconded) that we approve the confirmation presented:
        • Vote- all in favor, no opposition, no abstentions- PASSED

    • Voting for EAC, IPBT (2), SSPBT (3)                
      • EAC, IPBT and SSPBT 
        • Discussion was held regarding the ballot and voting process with a revisit of the call. 
        • Wording on ballot was adjusted- Mary S moved to use the current ballot with the language approved previously at the June 3 meeting: “Based on a motion made by Mary S. and seconded by Cynthia K.,  the vote was 22 for and one abstaining that: all faculty are eligible for the open seats in the upcoming election for faculty representation to the IPBT and SSPBT. Assuming that at least one full-time faculty member applies, then at least one seat will go to full-time instructor for each PBT; and, assuming that at least one part-time instructor applies, at least one seat for each PBT to part-time instructor. This will ensure that there is at least one part-time faculty member on each of these PBTs for the coming two years barring the situation where no part-time instructor applies.”
        •  (Cynthia seconded)
        • All in favor with the exception of on abstention- PASSED
      • Vote results (highlighted):
        • EAC 
          • Robert Alexander (2), Lisa Castro (2), Monica Ganesh (2), Mylinh Pham (10), and Casey Regehr (1) 
        • IPBT
          • Ed Ahrens (5), Robert Alexander (1), Cheryl Jaeger Balm (12), Brian Smith (2), Marissa Smith (12),  Erik Woodbury (6)
        • SSPBT
          • Veronica Acevedo Avila (6), Robert Alexander (7), Kevin Glapion (15), Susmita Sengupta (14), Hyon Chu Yi-Baker (7) 
            • Runoff between Robert Alexander (10) and Hyon Chu Yi-Baker (8)

    Academic Senate stipends for Part-Time Faculty (2nd discussion)
    • Academic Senate Financial Report
      • Available Balance as of 6/17/19
        • 9/1/19 - 6/17/19 Report shows credits totaling  $10,105.00 and debits totaling $8,090.59
      • Motion to table by Mary S. Until Fall when we have more information on the budget. Seconded by Tom Dolan.
        • Discussion - Bob - we need to do something with this, we shouldn’t let fiscal concerns to keep us from doing something.
          • Ishmael - If faculty members are willing to serve then we should support them. Is willing to support the motion if the decision in the Fall is made retroactively so that people can be paid for their participation completed.
          • Vote in favor (6), oppose (10), abstain (3)- DOES NOT PASS
        • Cynthia motioned  to extend the $300/quaterly stipend to SSPBT (1 individual)  and IPBT (1 individual) part-time reps. Seconded by Brian Malone 
          • Ilan - I support paying all part-timers $100/meeting.
          • Ishmael - I support that, but if right now we can agree to match. 
          • in favor (15), no opposition, 5 abstentions- PASSED

    Transformational Leadership Qualities (3rd Discussion)
    • Edits were made by committee members. 
      • Strike - will be present on campus - Passed with agreement from the committee. 
      • Add - has a minimum of 5 years of faculty experience - Did not pass with agreement from the committee. 
      • Is there another place that we could move the advocacy? Can go under sense of public mission and eliminate the top 3 of the professional excellence column. - Passed with committee agreement. 
      • Connect accessible and approachable in the same bullet- passed.
    • Ilan - Can we send this out tonight and respond by Wed?
    • Motion email vote- send this out so that constituents can be advised. Vote by email by Wednesday (yes or no) -  Seconded by Mary S. 
      • Mary D - Can’t we send it out to the faculty list serve?
      • We don’t want all faculty to vote, this is meant to be a vote of committee members as representatives.
      • All in favor with the exception of one abstention. No opposition.

    Course Scheduling Enrollment Management (CSEM) Task Force Update
    • Website is updated to include the task force.
    • Faculty, administrator, and student vacancies on the task force. 
    • Ishmael provided feedback from the meeting with the college president. 
    • CSEM needs to provide an instrument for measurement. They have committed to meet at least once in the summer. 
    • Has requested documentation of the policy for cancellation from the college president.
      • Why is Foothill’s summer schedule released prior to ours?
      • De Anza underspent last year and the money went back to the district, which means that classes were cut when they didn’t need to be- Bob S.
      • Are we trying to target making money or are we trying to target classes making?
      • It’s about productivity numbers now, not FTEF.

    • More information to come in Fall.

    Proposed Statement of No Confidence in Student Centered Funding Formula (SCFF) and State Chancellor’s Office (2nd discussion)

    Proposed Statement

    • Motion to approve made by Mary D(Seconded by Bob K)
    • in favor (15), opposed Zero, abstain 2- PASSED

    Professional development Year-end Summary
    • Will present in the Fall. 
    • Mary S - Can we receive the information via email? 
      • Dawn - yes, I can definitely do that.

    • De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB)
      • Bhuvi- shared the list of qualities identified by DASB Senate for hiring new De Anza President. She will provide a copy to the Senate.  
    • IPBT
    • District Equity Action Council (DDEAC)
      • Karen C. relayed Academic Senate’s position: to change the wording from “at most two faculty” to “at least two faculty”, and that faculty representation be open to both full-time and part-time faculty; and, Selection Committed welcomes anyone from the Search Committee who desires to serve.

    Good of the Order 

    Officers and Senators

    Executive Committee Members Present

    Name Position Present
    Karen Chow President Y
    Mary Pape Vice President  Y
    Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y
    Ishmael Tarikh PT Y
    Mary Donahue PT Y
    Paul Klingman App Tech  
    Pete Vernazza App Tech Y
    Bob Kalpin BHES
    Gayatri Pal BHES Y
    Vacancy Bus/CIS  
    Mary Pape Bus/CIS Y
    Vacancy CA  
    Ilas Glasman CA Y
    Nellie Vargas CD&E  
    Betty Inouye Counseling  Y
    Rob Clem Counseling   
    Kevin Glapion DSPS Y
    Anita Vazdifar DSPS Y
    Vacancy ICS/IIS  
    Marc Coronado ICS/IIS Y
    Terrence Mullens PSME Y
    Lisa Mesh PSME Y
    Shagun Kaur LA  
    Brian Malone LA Y
    Susan Thomas SSH  
    MyLinh Pham SSH  
    Louise Madrigal PE Y
    Vacancy PE  
    Tom Dolen LR Y
    Mary Sullivan SD Y
    Cynthia Kaufman Equity and Engagement Y
    Eric Woord Bury Curriculum Committee

    Guests Present

    Name Position Present
    Thomas Ray Administrator Liaison Y
    (KB) DASB Representative  
    Bob Stockwell Faculty Association Y
    Christina Espinosa-Pieb Interim De Anza President  
    Rob Mieso VP of Student Services  
    Lorrie Ranck Acting VP of Instruction  
    Susan Cheu VP of Administrative Services  
    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs  
    Marisa Spatafore Associate V of Communications & External Relations  
    Lorna Maynard Classified Senate President
    Genevive Kolar DASB  
    Hyaman Wong De Anza Student Trustee  
    Mallory Newell Institutional Researcher  
    Moaty Fayek Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems  
    Renee Augenstein Articulation Officer  
    Mary Bennett Tenure Review Coordinator  
    Sheila White-Daniels Dean of Counseling  
    Daniel Smith Dean of Creative Arts  
    Alicia Cortez Dean of Equity and Engagement  
    Daniel Smith Interim Dean of Physical Education & Athletics  
    Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate President  
    Carolyn Holcroft FHDA District Academic Senate President  
    Pam Grey Associate VP of College Operations  
    Laureen Balducci Dean of Disability Support Programs & Services  
    Anita Kandula Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences  
    Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean of Student Development/EOPS  
    Lisa Mandy Director of Financial Aid  
    Nazy Galoyan Dean of Enrollment Services  
    Edmundo Norte Dean of Intercultural/International Studies  
    Jerry Rosenberg Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering  
    Judy Miner FHDA Chancellor  
    Dawn Lee Tu Faculty Director of Office of Professional Development Y
    Carolyn Wilkins-Greene Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities  
    Kelly Swanson Director, Book Store  
    David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning  
    Mae Lee Curriculum Committee Vice Chair  
    Veronica Acevedo Avila Faculty English Dept. Y
    Sean Crossland Visitors Y
    Geneive Kolar Student Trustee Y
    Bhuvi Natarajan DASB Y
    Marissa Smith SSH Y
    Brian Smith   Y

Documents and Links

Back to Top