Students may petition to have substandard academic work (D+, D, D-, F, NC or NP) disregarded from their cumulative GPA, when such work does not reflect their current ability (Title 5, Section 55046 of the California Code of Regulations).

Important Information

A student who wishes to qualify for a degree, certificate or transfer may petition to disregard up to three consecutive quarters, plus a summer session, for a maximum of 45 quarter units at De Anza or Foothill College. 

Academic renewal at De Anza College does not guarantee that other colleges will accept this action, which is at the discretion of the transfer institution. Once a degree or certificate has been awarded by De Anza or Foothill College, courses taken prior to the awarding of the degree or certificate cannot be excluded .

Approval of Academic Renewal requests is subject to the following conditions:

  • At least three quarters must have elapsed since the last quarter to be disregarded was completed.
  • Since the last quarter to be considered for Academic Renewal, students must have completed at least:

15 units with a 3.0 GPA, or
30 units with a 2.5 GPA, or
45 units with a 2.0 GPA

(Work completed at another institution, including upper division coursework, may be considered.)

  • A student may be granted academic renewal only once.
  • Academic renewal actions are irreversible.
  • A substandard grade in any course that has been deactivated may be disregarded from the student's cumulative GPA and may be granted an exception to the minimum requirements for academic renewal.
  • The college will disregard from unit requirements/totals and GPA courses selected by the student.
  • The student transcript will be annotated in such a manner that all work – including work that is disregarded through academic renewal – remains legible to ensure a true and complete history.
  • Students must consult a counselor before petitioning for academic renewal. After obtaining the counselor's signature, the petition for academic renewal should be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.

The Petition for Academic Renewal form can be submitted online:

  • Before completing the form, you must schedule a meeting with a counselor so you can complete the form together.
  • Log in to MyPortal and open the Apps section, then select the tile for Adobe Sign Student Forms.
  • Look under "Student Workflows" for the De Anza Petition for Academic Renewal (Student) and follow the online instructions.
Back to Top