Finding the Right Course for You!
While we no longer offer in-person assessment or exams, you can complete the assessment process online, or take a science exam online.
Request an Online Assessment or Exam – Or Submit a Question
Use our online request form to submit your request to take the online English, ESL or Math assessments, or science exams. (We no longer offer in-person assessments or exams.) You can also use this form to ask questions about the process.
- Confused? Call 408.864.8717.
Visit Us – For Questions Only
We're available – by appointment only – for in-person assistance with questions relating to the English, ESL or math assessment or science exams. This is for questions only: We do not offer in-person assessments or exams.
- Mondays and Tuesdays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Please remember that you must follow the rules for coming to campus.
You'll find us at the Admissions/Enrollment Services counter, across from the Bookstore, on the first floor of the RSS Building (park in Lot A).
Watch Our New Video
Most students can now be assessed on the basis of their U.S. high school transcripts and GPA.
- Every new student should start by checking MyPortal
- It's easy to do: Follow these steps
- ESL students: Use our ESL assessment process, designed to assist students who are learning English as a Second Language.
No Transcript? No Problem!
- If you don't have a recent transcript from a U.S. high school, we'll use other methods to help you find the best placement for you.
- If you're attending on an F-1 visa, you should review orientation materials offered by International Student Programs office before completing assessment.
Our assessment process for English, English as a Second Language (ESL) and Math is designed to help you find the courses that are right for you – based on your circumstances and goals. It's an essential step for any student interested in taking these courses at De Anza. It's also required for getting priority enrollment!
English as a Second Language
- View or download the English as a Second Language (ESL) sequence
- View or download the Mathematics (MATH) sequence
- Check out our Tips on Registering for Math Courses
- Important notes:
- Students who received a placement over the summer for Precalculus I should register for MATH 31
- Students who received a placement over the summer for Precalculus II should register for MATH 32
- If you received a Math placement before this summer, you should meet with your counselor for assistance in selecting the right course for your goals
English and Math can be challenging. If you've had difficulty with these subjects before – or if you don't feel ready to take college-level courses in these areas – don't worry!
- You can still take developmental English or developmental Math classes that will help prepare you for the courses you need to meet your goals.
- You may also want to check out the Math Performance Success program, which offers tutoring and in-class support.
- If English is not your first language, we have an assessment process to help you find the right courses in English as a Second Language
Talk with your counselor about the best options for you.
If you've already taken placement tests for Math or English at De Anza, you may now be eligible to take different courses than those in which you had been placed. Learn more if you took
Under state law, community colleges must do their best to help you complete transfer-level Math and English within a year – unless your high school records indicate that remedial courses would give you a better chance to succeed at the college level.
Like most community colleges, De Anza previously used placement testing to assess new students. But the latest research shows your high school performance is a better indicator than placement tests, when it comes to predicting your ability to succeed.