Hotlines and Health Links
A listing of local hotlines for Santa Clara County and links to online resources.
Hotlines in Santa Clara County
24-Hour Child Abuse Reporting Lines
- Palo Alto to Sunnyvale - (650) 493-1186
- San Jose Area - (408) 299-2071
- Gilroy to Morgan Hill - (408) 683-0601
Adult Reporting Lines (M-F, 8-5) - (408) 928-3860
Family Violence Center (M-F, 8-5) - (408) 277-3700
Male Survivor -for Men Who Have Been Sexually Abused
An organization committed to preventing, healing, and eliminating all forms of sexual victimization of boys and men through support, treatment, research, education, advocacy, and activism.
Battered Women and Domestic Violence
- La Isla Pacifica Crisis Line (Gilroy to Morgan Hill) - (408) 683-4118
- Next Door Crisis Line (San Jose area) - (408) 279-2962
- Support Network for Battered Women (Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Altos) - (800) 572-2782
- Narcotics Anonymous - (408) 998-4200
- Cocaine Anonymous - (408) 496-9107
Child Porn Reporting
24-Hour National Center for Missing/Exploited Children -1- (800) 843-5678
Drug and Alcohol
- Alcoholics Anonymous - (408) 374-8511
- Al-Anon - (408) 379-9375
- Start your Recovery - Website
- Billy De Frank Community Center - (408) 293-2429
- Sexual and Gender Identities Clinic at the Kurt and Barbara Gronowski Psychology Clinic - 650-961-9300
24-Hour CDC National HIV & STD Hotline
- TTD -1-888-232-6348
Poison Control Information
California Poison Control Center Hotline -
- 1 (800) 876-4766
- 1 (800) 222-1222
Rape and Sexual Assault
Rape Crisis Center, YWCA of Silicon Valley
Suicide and Crisis
NEW Dial 988 for National Suicide and Crisis Hotline
The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (formerly the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline) provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress – 24/7, anywhere in the United States.
Local Suicide and Crisis Hotlines
- Palo Alto to Mtn. View - (650) 494-8420
- Santa Clara County - (408) 279-3312
- Morgan Hill to Gilroy - (408) 683-248
Links to Health-Related Websites
- American Botanical Council Online - You can search the German Commission E Monographs (or order your very own copy)
- ConsumerLab.com - Tests various brands of herbs, vitamins and other dietary supplements to see if they contain what the label states. Surprisingly, many do not!
- HerbMed - A database that provides six different categories of information for each herb.
- Erowid's Psychoactive Vaults - A large list of links to many sites related to drugs of all types. Includes information on both sides of the controversies surrounding certain drugs.
- Something Fishy - Has something for everyone and links to everything. For more links, click on "Other Resources."
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - a Twelve Step program that helps people of all ages who have a problem with food.
Exercise and Fitness
- eFit.com - Lots of information on weight management, nutrition and exercise. Become a member and get personalized programs.
- Shape Up America - Is not only a great fitness website but also has a nutrition component, complete with a Cyber Kitchen!
- DeFrank Online - Assisting the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community in Santa Clara County.
- PFLAG San Jose/Peninsula - Promoting the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons and their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.
- Sexual and Gender Identities Clinic at the Kurt and Barbara Gronowski Psychology Clinic - Offers psychological services to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, trans, those questioning their sexual/and or gender identities, their families, and friends.
- It Gets Better Project - Helps LGBT teens navigate through the challenging waters of being LGBT and a young person.
- Cool Nurse.com - A very cool general health site.
- Drkoop.com - Dr. C. Everett Koop, former U.S. Surgeon General, chairs this page which offers daily health news; info on issues specific to men, women, children and older adults; medical encyclopedias, and "Drug Checker" to help you avoid harmful drug interactions with both prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Health Central - Online magazine with numerous topics including the People's Pharmacy, Dr. Dean Edell, and Cool Tools.
Health-related Journals and Magazines
- Berkeley Wellness Online
- Mayo Clinic's Health Oasis
- New England Journal of Medicine On-Line
- Nutrition Action Healthletter
- Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS) - Based in San Francisco, the CAPS site lists research opportunities, the latest in government reports and many "Fact Sheets."
- HIV Testing - Learn what HIV testing is, who needs to be tested, the difference between anonymous and confidential testing, etc.
- The Body - An AIDS and HIV information resource.
- Mental Health Net - Provides lots of resources for many mental health topics on the Internet.
- Half of Us - Focuses on depression and suicide. Resources for Veterans, too.
- Center for Science in the Public Interest - CSPI advocates for safe and healthy food and publishes the Nutrition Action Newsletter .
- Gourmet Spot - We don't always have to be worrying about dieting, do we? Tons of recipes, including low fat.
- DanceSafe - A nonprofit, harm reduction organization promoting health and safety within the rave and nightclub community.
- San Francisco Sex Information - For 25 years, the San Francisco Sex Information hotline has been providing anonymous, accurate and non-judgemental information about sex. Now they're in cyber space!
- Emergency Contraception (aka The Morning After Pill) - Has lots of information about the various types of emergency contraception and a directory of providers.
- Go Ask Alice - Question and answer services at Columbia University providing explicit and reliable sexual health information.
- WomensHealth.gov - The Federal Government source for women's health information.
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- The American Social Health Association - Great jumping off point from the organization that runs the National AIDS and National STI hotlines. Has links to sites about herpes, HPV, Hepatitis B, etc.
- The Herpes Zone - Contains detailed information about the life cycle of herpes viruses, advice on living with herpes, managing symptoms, FAQ's, and links to similar sites.
- San Francisco City Clinic - Free or low cost diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections. Site has loads of great references, too.
- Smoking from all Sides - links to all perspectives of smoking.
- California Smokers' Helpline - 1-800-NO-BUTTS
- Cigarettes as litter
- California Youth Advocacy Network - The California Youth Advocacy Network (CYAN) is dedicated to the support of youth and young adult tobacco control advocacy. Has a college tobacco control project.
- Quit Chewing Tobacco - website is by the makers of a tobacco-free, mint snuff
Veterans' Health Concerns
- Half of Us - Focuses on depression among college students and has specific forum for veterans.
- Santa Clara County Veteran’s Service Office - a nonprofit educational and professional organization through which California’s Veterans Service Officers help each other to do a better job of advocacy and claims work for veterans.