High School Students: Do you want to get a head start on college or a future career?

If you're in grade 11 or 12, you can take classes at De Anza College – for FREE! 

  • Save money
  • Explore academic and career interests
  • Gain experience with college-level studies
  • Take classes online or on the De Anza campus

Many courses provide credit that is transferable to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) systems!

Steps to Get Started

Apply for admission

First, review our Application Tips webpage. Then, complete the online application for admission.

  • Note: You don't need to submit a new application if you took classes at De Anza in the prevous quarter (or summer session) and are continuing into the next quarter.

Submit your Permit to Enroll

Download and print the High School Permit to Enroll Form.

  • Note: You must submit this form for each quarter you plan to attend, even if you took classes at De Anza during the previous quarter.

Read this form carefully and make sure that you provide all signatures and requested information, including the courses that you are approved to take and the De Anza College student ID number that you will receive when your application for admission is accepted. 

Submit the form by fax, mail or in person to De Anza's Admissions and Records Office. The fax number and mailing address are on the form.

Once your form is received and processed, you will be assigned a registration appointment time. You can check your registration date and get other important information when you log into the MyPortal registration system.

Complete the Assessment Process

English and Math

  • If you are planning to take English or math courses, or any course that has an English or math prerequisite, you'll need to download and complete the High School Transcript Assessment Form, which you will find on the Admissions and Records Student Forms webpage.  Please email the completed form to daassessment@deanza.edu and allow five business days to receive your placement.
  • If you are NOT planning to take English or math courses, or any courses that have an English or math prerequisite, then you don't need an English or math placement.
  • You can check for course prerequisites by looking at the class descriptions in the schedule of classes

Science Proficiency

  • If you are interested in taking Biology 6A, Biology 40A or Chemistry 1A, please visit the Assessment Center's Science Exam webpage for more information about testing out of lower-level courses.

Register for Classes Online

Log in to the MyPortal registration system on your assigned date and time to register, then enroll in the courses you listed on the high school permit form that you submitted.

You will be notified if you need to pay any fees. (You won't be charged fees if you take fewer than 12 units in a quarter, or fewer than six units in summer. See below for more information about fees.) Fees can be paid online, by mail or in person. For more information about payment methods and policies, visit our Payment Policies webpage. 

More Information

  • You will not have to  pay any fees if you take fewer than 12 units in a quarter (or fewer than six in summer).
  • However, if you take 12 or more units (six or more in summer) at De Anza, Foothill College or the two colleges combined, you will be charged all full-time student feesSee our Fees at a Glance webpage.
  • You may take courses that provide career training, personal enrichment or subjects that aren't available at your high school. (Visit our Career Training webpage for a complete list of programs.) 
  • You may not take courses in English as a Second Language (ESL), or courses that are classified as Basic Skills, Learning Strategies (LS), Skills (SKIL), or courses that are 200-level, non-degree applicable.
  • Your records are confidential and protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). They are not available to parents without a written release from the student.
  • Your high school might not accept courses that you complete if they were not approved on your permit form. Make sure you get high school approval before enrolling.
  • You will need to request transcripts if you want your grades sent to your high school or need a transcript sent to another college or university. You can request official transcripts  online or use MyPortal to print your unofficial transcript.
  • All courses will appear on your permanent record and must be reported to any other college or university to which you apply.


To see more, visit our Campus Video Tour webpage.

More Options

If you’re a student in the Fremont Union High School District (FUHSD),* here are two more ways that you can take classes at De Anza.

Middle College

Middle College is an alternative program that offers FUHSD juniors and seniors a different academic and social environment to help them succeed.

College Now

College Now is an option that allows FUHSD seniors to earn their high school diplomas while also earning a year of college credits, without AP tests. 

* FUHSD includes Cupertino High, Fremont High, Homestead High, Lynbrook High, Monta Vista High and the Educational Options Center.

Back to Top