Applying for Admission
International students planning to attend De Anza on an F-1 visa or online from abroad must use the following special application:
- This application is NOT intended for current F-1 visa students who are already enrolled at another institution. Those students intending to take one or two classes as a guest student while maintaining F-1 status at another institution should please review the concurrent enrollment instructions for completing the admission process.
- We will not issue an I-20 for the purpose of change of status for students who currently hold a B-2 visa and plan to change status in the United States.
- If you are currently holding a non-immigrant visa that is not an F-1 – such as H1B, L2 or J1 visa – and you are planning to change your nonimmigrant visa status with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) while you're in the United States, you must contact Angelica Strongone at firstname.lastname@example.org before applying to De Anza College.
De Anza College uses the quarter system for its academic calendar. New international students are admitted four times each year – in the fall, winter, spring and summer.
Click for Dates and Deadlines
For prompt processing of your application, and ample time to secure a visa, do not wait until the deadline.
|Fall||Winter||Spring||Summer In-Person or Online (only if residing abroad)|
Nov. 1 (year prior)
|Feb. 1 (year prior)||May 1 (year prior)||Nov. 1 (year prior)|
|Deadline for F-1 applications||Aug. 15||Nov. 15||Feb. 15||April 15|
|Deadline for F-1 transfers and online-only applications*||Sept. 5||Dec. 5||March 5||June 1|
|Mandatory orientation**||Late August||Early December||Early March||Mid June|
|Classes begin||Late September||Early January||Early April||Late June/Early July|
*F-1 transfers are students who are attending another institution inside the U.S and eligible to transfer their I-20. Online-only applicants are those who intend to take online classes from abroad and do not require an F-1 visa.
**Orientation schedule may vary and will be communicated to admitted students once confirmed.
Please review the FAQs for further information.
The following items are mandatory for all applicants:
Online Application Form
Create an account and complete the online application. You'll need to upload each item listed below.
English Proficiency Test Score
Upload a copy or original proof of English proficiency test score, taken within the last 2 years (ex: if the year is 2018, your test must have been taken between 2016-2018). A minimum score on any of the following examinations is required for admission
- TOEFL - 61 iBT or TOEFL PBT 46 or higher
- TOEFL Essentials - 6.5
- IELTS/ IELTS Indicator - 5.5
- iTEP - Level 4
- EIKEN - 2A
- Duolingo - 95 DET (50 DET older version)
- SAT - 500 EBRW
- Pearson PTE Academic - 45
- Cambridge - 175+ on advanced or proficiency exam
- GTEC CBT - 1100
- IB (International Baccalaureate) English - A HL or SL 4 or better
Note: While we use these test results in evaluating your application for admission, these tests are not used to determine your placement in English or English as a Second Language courses.
|Other ways to demonstrate English Proficiency (pending review by the Admission Advisor from transcript or other documentation)||Score/Documentation Required|
|High School/Secondary School completion in countries where English is the primary language of instruction (view list of eligible countries)||Transcripts|
|Completion of 3+ years at an international high school or secondary school where the primary language of instruction is in English||Transcripts and school profile stating English is the sole medium of instruction|
|Completed college level English composition at a US College or University||C or better|
Please see below to learn more about conditional admission.
All students who are admitted to De Anza College must provide proof that they have the financial resources to live and study in the US. This proof must include an original letter from the bank verifying that you or your sponsor are in "good standing" at the bank and have at least $30,376 U.S. dollars available for the first year of your educational expenses.
Your original financial Statement or bank letter must be written in English and dated within the last 6 months. In addition, the financial support cannot come from stocks, bonds, or retirement accounts. *Foreign currency is accepted.
Upload an official school transcript. Students must be 18 years old to attend college. Students who are younger than 18 (but at least 16 before first day of classes) can attend with proof of secondary/high school completion or the equivalent. All documents must be in English or officially translated into English.
For students who attended schools in the U.S., please submit an official transcript from all schools you've attended.
We require a $75 USD application fee to review your application and determine your eligibility.
- This fee is nonrefundable.
Under 18 Authorization
If you are under age 18, you need to have authorization from your parents or legal guardian to attend De Anza College.
Minor authorization forms are required by De Anza's Student Health Services Office.
If you have dependents who will accompany you on an F-1 visa, you will be required to provide their names and copies of their passports.
Additional financial support of $7,750.00 US per dependent, per year is required for F-2 Visa.
For Transfer-In students
- If you are applying to De Anza as a transfer-in student from another US school, your SEVIS record must be active.
- De Anza does NOT accept Terminated or Completed SEVIS status.
- Click HERE for additional information as a transfer in student.